Re: FreeBSD 5.3-BETA7 available

From: Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig_at_spymac.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:44:43 -0700
On Monday 04 October 2004 07:10 am, Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
wrote:
> IMPORTANT:
> Several libraries have had their version numbers bumped in order to
> maintain FreeBSD 4.x compatibility.  Any programs that rely on these
> libraries should be rebuilt.  The /etc/libmap.conf facility can be
> used to help this migration.

I've used libmap.conf and read the man, but I'm still not clear how to
do this. Sorry - am a relative newbie, and this is still confusing to
me.

> In particular, libm.so.2 should be
> mapped to libm.so.3 while the migration is in progress.

OK, exactly how is this accomplished?

> The
> libraries that changed are:
>
>     libm.so.2 -> libm.so.3
>     libhistory.so.4 -> libhistory.so.5
>     libopie.so.2 -> libopie.so.3
>     libpcap.so.2 -> libpcap.so.3
>     libreadline.so.4 -> libreadline.so.5

Do these need to be mapped as well?

Sorry for my naivete, but the convention used in libmap.conf doesn't
make sense to me.

I'm also unclear on how to check which programs use which libraries.

- jt