Re: BETA6 kern.maxfiles messages

From: Andy Fawcett <andy_at_athame.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 09:43:34 +0300
On Wednesday 06 October 2004 09:04, freebsd wrote:
> I'm suspicious someone was trying to probe or dos this server, but if
> there is some other possible explanation, and since I have only seen
> this on a 5.3 BETA box I thought I would post it here.  It looks to
> me like someone was trying to do a small dos attack perhaps?
>
> Today I had these messages in dmesg.today:
>
> kern.maxfiles limit exceeded by uid 70, please see tuning(7).
> kern.maxfiles limit exceeded by uid 88, please see tuning(7).

                                  ^^^

> The offending processes are:
> # ps 88
>   PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
>    88  ??  IL     0:00.00 [nfsiod 3]
> # ps 70
>   PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
>    70  ??  WL     0:08.60 [swi3: cambio]

You shouldn't be looking at process IDs, but you should be looking at
User IDs.

Users 70 and 88 are (or at least should be) for PostgreSQL and MySQL.

A.

--
Andy Fawcett                                     | andy_at_athame.co.uk
                                                 | tap_at_kde.org
"In an open world without walls and fences,      | tap_at_lspace.org
  we wouldn't need Windows and Gates."  -- anon  | tap_at_fruitsalad.org