camcontrol(8) and MODE_[SENSE|SELECT]_10

From: Bruce M Simpson <bms_at_spc.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 02:51:21 -0700
I need some advice regarding the handling of 10-byte MODE SENSE/SELECT.

Apologies if this is more appropriate for freebsd-scsi_at_ to which I am
not currently subscribed.

Here is the patch I used to hack camcontrol to force the use of
MODE_SENSE_10 and MODE_SELECT_10 for UFI (umass) devices, i.e.
USB floppy drives.

This is probably not the cleanest way but it avoids using a global flag
for such a thing, which might be cleaner.

Note however that the mode page layouts in src/share/misc/scsi_modes
only seem to be correct for the 6-byte MODE_SENSE and MODE_SELECT
which are not supported for such devices; for 10-byte forms the
mode page layout seems to be subtly different.

Could someone more knowledgeable about the inner workings of CAM and
SCSI in FreeBSD than I advise how we could go about teaching camcontrol(8)
to fetch and display mode pages in a human-readable manner?
(i.e. without necessarily implementing a new utility right away)

This is necessary in order to extract the geometry for a USB floppy
drive in order that track-by-track format may be implemented; the
FORMAT UNIT command for USB floppy drives requires such behaviour
as per the UFI Specification (usbmass-ufi10.pdf).

Regards,
BMS