Re: perl 5.8.5

From: Rainer Duffner <rainer_at_ultra-secure.de>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:04:59 +0200
Am Mi, den 06.10.2004 schrieb Scott Long um 21:56:
> Ryan Newman wrote:
> >
> > Having 5.3 default to perl 5.8 will add a lot of delay in several peoples
> > migration from 4.x for sure.
> >

> I think that you might be overstating the status of perl in FreeBSD 5.x.
> When you install 5.x, you get no PERL at all.  It's up to you to decide
> which PERL you want.  Sysinstall has a hack that will install a PERL
> package for you (which defaults to 5.6 right now but will soon default
> to 5.8), but you can very easily say 'no' to this option and install
> 5.6.  Both 5.6 and 5.8 are on the disc1 media.  The choice is yours.

I think, in the past, when you had 5.8 installed, other packages would
overwrite that with 5.6 (if you used packages).

At least, something like this happened to me some time ago.

So, nowadays I let it have perl5.6 at first (cvsup brings it with it, I
think), but wipe it completely from the HD before installing 5.8.
And I don't use packages, when I can.

Rainer
~     Rainer Duffner - rainer_at_ultra-secure.de     ~
~           Freising - Munich - Germany           ~
~    Unix - Linux - BSD - OpenSource - Security   ~
~  http://www.ultra-secure.de/~rainer/pubkey.pgp  ~