Re: 5.3: /stand/ versus /rescue/ ?

From: Ryan Sommers <ryans_at_gamersimpact.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:53:35 -0600 (MDT)
Jose M Rodriguez said:
> On Wednesday 06 October 2004 20:13, John Baldwin wrote:
>> On Wednesday 06 October 2004 01:48 pm, Ryan Sommers wrote:
>> > Is there any reason why we need /stand after the install process?
>> > As part of the post-install configuration would it be possible to
>> > have /stand removed?
>>
>> Prior to /rescue it was (ab)used as a sort of /rescue type of thing.
>> Now that we have /rescue, it probably can be removed after the
>> installation is complete.
>
> Take care of:
>  - it only takes ~2 MB of your rootfs.

About a year ago a lot of people didn't want /rescue because of a lack of
space in some of the older root slices. This would free up a little bit of
room from a lot of programs that are likely duplicated in /rescue. Getting
rid of /stand might make a little difference.

>  - I'm not sure that /rescue/tar can work without a tmp dir

I'll look into that.

>    and this is really needed for initdiskless oper (/stand/cpio).

>From looking at the initdiskless script, is there any reason we couldn't
add cpio to /rescue and use it from there? From what I saw the only
references to /stand were /stand/cpio and /stand/gzip, and gzip is already
in /rescue.

>  - can sysinstall unlink his own binary before restart?

Couldn't we restart the post-install from /usr/sbin/sysinstall? I'm not
too familiar with the installation code.

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans_at_gamersimpact.com