Re: Vinum problems in 5.3-BETA7?

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:09:29 -0500 (CDT)
Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
> Hi, Lukas!
>
>>> Where do I go from here? Is this expected behaviour due to the ongoing
>>> GEOM changes or should I go read Greg's "how to debug vinum problems"
>>> document? I will do that, no problem. Just want to know if it makes
>>> sense at all, because now everyone might tell me "vinum is known
>>> broken in 5.3" or similar.
>>
>> Please switch to geom_vinum.  Put 'geom_vinum_load="YES"' in your
>> loader.conf and change your fstab to /dev/gvinum.
>
> Since geom_vinum wasn't in the earlier betas I expected it was
> scheduled for after 5.3-RELEASE. I'm puzzled by the amount of
> feature changes during the current beta process. Bind 9 is
> another example. Shouldn't there be a feature freeze at the
> first beta and only bug fixing until release?

geom_vinum was added way back in June
(http://www.xl0.org/FreeBSD/14-06-04.html#geom-supporting-vinum-added).
Recently, it was reworked to fix some corruption issues and improve
performance
(http://www.xl0.org/FreeBSD/20-09-04.html#rework-of-geom-vinum-code).
Regardless, it's certainly been available in earlier betas and this is not
a good example of a feature change during beta.  Such changes have been
made, but all have been to satisfy the release requirements and desires
laid out on the TODO page
(http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/todo.html).  Bind 9 has been in used
from ports for a long time now and as such is a very low risk change.

The move to the rc (release candidate) stage should bring with it a
feature freeze as you expect.

Jon