Re: Mixer settings revert to zero

From: Christopher M. Giordano <CGiordano_at_ids.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:44:57 -0400
Adam Smith wrote:

> Is there anyone else out there experiencing this?  Surely it can't just be
> the two of us.

Yes, I have had the same problem since around the time I upgraded
from 5.x to 6.x-CURRENT, and also to KDE 3.3.0.

Are you using KDE 3.3 by any chance?  It appears to be a problem
with KDE (artsd?), rather than a problem with the mixer itself.

Following a reboot, if I first login to a console terminal and play
an audio file, mixer settings are OK and it works normally.  The problem
only occurs upon a login to KDE; the KDE login intro music begins to play,
but is cut off and never completes.  Sound does not work after that point.
Sound can be restored by manually adjusting the mixer settings after logging
in, but the problem then recurs on any subsequent KDE login.

I've followed the advice in the /usr/ports/UPDATING 20040830 entry about
removing the file ~/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc to restore system sounds
after the KDE 3.3 upgrade, but to no avail.

$ cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Creative Audigy 2 (EMU10K2)> at io 0xb800 irq 3 kld snd_emu10k1 (8p/2r/4v channels duplex default)

$ uname -a
FreeBSD boston 6.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT #0: Sun Oct 10 00:13:01 EDT 2004