Re: RAID1 with gmirror

From: Chris Elsworth <chris_at_shagged.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:26:06 +0100
On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 12:25:46AM +0200, Christian Hiris wrote:

> > 4) bsdlabel -e ad0 [taking into account the new 16 byte offset]
>
> I never read about the new offset - until now I had no time to study the
> gmirror code. Where did you find this interresting information?

Here (and related thread):
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-geom/2004-September/000313.html

> An example in 'man gmirror' describes how to set up a gmirror array on a disk
> with valid data. It uses 'gmirror lable' w/o extra labeling. I understand it
> the way that the term 'valid data' means 'existing (non-gmirror-)data on an
> already (before-gmirror-)labeled disk'. Maybe my understanding is wrong and
> you gave me the hint to the reason why my mirrors break on startup. I will do
> some testing on this.

No, I get the mirrors breaking on startup too. I believe this is fixed
in -CURRENT but is pending a MFC into RELENG_5 to fix.

So, I'm left quite unsure whether the warnings are harmless or not.
Pawel, can we just use existing labels on disks and apply a gmirror
over it, or should we be re-labelling inside the mirror device?

--
Chris