Re: Using watch to monitor serial port results in reboot

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:09:14 -0400
On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 03:57:13AM -0400, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 09:50:45PM -0400, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> > watch -c /dev/ttyd0
> >
> > and then:
> >
> > killall watch
> >
> > My system immediately reboots (not even a kernel panic).
> >
> > I am wondering if the recent work on the tty drivers has
> > anything to do with this?
>
> This is my experience with watch on a serial port the last time I tried
> it (years and years ago).

Do you remember what FreeBSD version you tried this on?
I use watch under FreeBSD 4.9 without any problems, and can kill it
without resulting in the machine rebooting.

It would be nice if this could work on -CURRENT, but I don't
know how to go about debugging something where the machine
reboots (not even the kernel panics).

Any hints on how to do this?

Thanks.

--