Re: SiS 962/963 support?

From: Rick Morris <rmorris_at_mos.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 01:21:23 -0400
Well, It seems the problem has nothing to do with the ATA driver at all.
Even though it looks like that is where the freeze occurs, it is
actually the Firewire (1384) support that causes the freeze. After
systematically disabling every other option in the BIOS, I found that
this is the only thing that prevents the system from booting, and in
fact full DMA/ATA100 support works fine.

This solves our immediate problem, although we eventually would like to
use the firewire port on these systems. So far, there is absolutely no
error output, even in verbose mode, that mentions the IEEE 1384 device
when it is enabled.

Other than this, we are extremely happy with the performance and
stability of 5.3 so far.

(sorry for the email bounce... corrected as rmorris_at_mos.us.)