Re: NFS trouble

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 04:42:59 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Benjamin Lutz wrote:

> > When you're experiencing this problem, can the NFS client ping the NFS
> > server?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Are other NFS clients able to continue to access the NFS
> > server without problems?
>
> Partially. Other clients can access parts of the exported share. It
> appears that as soon as they access the directory in which the first
> program froze, they freeze as well.

If you log into the server and try to access that directory, do you
succeed?

You talked about having non-FreeBSD 5.x clients as well, I think, in an
earlier e-mail -- if a FreeBSD 5.x client wedges on a directory on the
server, will another non-FreeBSD client also wedge on touching the
directory?

Is it always the same director(y/ies) in which the wedge occurs?

The behavior you describe above sounds like it might be a problem with the
server, or, that the server generates bad or maybe just different
particular circumstances?  With the exceptions of things like distributed
advisory locking (rpc.lockd, etc), bugs in one client won't generally
trigger the problem in another client a the same time unless it's a common
property of the directory they touch.

Ruling out debug.mpsafenet and/or if_re checksum issues would both be
useful things to do.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research