speedtouch usb stop working since today on 6.0-CURRENT

From: Martin MATO <**********************_at_bel.hittite.isp.9tel.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:46:07 +0200
the modem is an Alcatel speedtouch usb (Manta)

at the beginning, all is fine: modem at boot or hotplugged give me this
log entry:
hayes kernel: ugen0: ALCATEL Speed Touch USB, rev 1.10/0.00, addr 2

to upload the firmware, i use this command
hayes# /usr/local/sbin/modem_run -f /usr/local/libdata/mgmt.o
(modem_run is part of the driver package  for the speedtouch modem)
at this state, the firmware is uploaded, and the modem detect the line
carrier (blinking leds )
after this the process began resident and monitors the modem activity.

but now; (after compiling a new kernel today) nothing happens: no error
messages; no logs, NOTHING (including whith the generic kernel)
the process "modem_run" is effectively running; but  not giving me back
the controls; and the led doesn't reacts

PID USERNAME   PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
650 root         0    0  2348K  1888K ugenrd   0:00  0.00%  0.00% modem_run

hitting control-c give me back the console but the process still alive

PID USERNAME   PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
650 root        -8    0  2348K  1888K usbdly   0:00  0.00%  0.00% modem_run
his state has changed but never disappear and it is unkillable!

unplugging  ('hard-way) the modem  give me this log entry:

    hayes kernel: ugen0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected

but it shutdown the usb ports :  no usb devices are detected anymore
until reboot ( restarting usbd does nothing)

in my last kernel compiled the 26th september, the modem  worked
perfectly; in fact i used this station as an internet  gateway for my
local network until today... :°(

compiling the last version of the driver package doesn't affect the
problem in any way
and have found no report of this problem  on   the driver's mail
archives on  speedtouch.sourceforge.net.

any ideas; or should i buy an ethernet one?

ps: sorry for my bad english