Re: iPod Mini and FreeBSD 5.2.1 or 5.3-Beta?

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:54:34 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Mattias Schlenker wrote:

> Is there anyone out there who managed to mount the iPod Mini on FreeBSD
> 5.2.1/5.3?
>
> I formatted the iPod as FAT32 with the supplied tools for Windows. When
> plugging in the iPod, it is just recognized as mass storage device
> (umassX), but no disks are created (umass0 shows up, but da0 does not)
> -- no matter if I plug the iPod into a USB hub or directly into a usb
> port on the back panel.

Try doing a bus rescan after connecting it.  umass doesn't wait around
very long for the device to come ready and the mini might take a minute to
go into disk mode.

Use 'camcontrol devlist -v' to find the bus number; it'll mention
umass-simX for the controller name. Note the number after 'scbus' on that
line. That's the bus number. Then do 'camcontrol rescan X' where 'X' is
the bus number.