Re: Are USB 2 hubs supported in FreeBSD 5.3?

From: Ian Dowse <iedowse_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:38:20 +0100
In message <20041011190508.D34886_at_carver.gumbysoft.com>, Doug White writes:
>On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 bruce_at_zuhause.mn.org wrote:
>
>> Are USB 2 hubs supported?  If they're not supported, is there a way
>> to enable EHCI, and force a USB 2 hub to operate in USB 1 mode?
>
>High-speed hubs are not currrently supported.

Actually, USB2 hubs should now work well enough to talk to USB2
devices (they work for me connecting USB2 umass devices anyway),
but we don't have support for talking to USB1 devices via USB2 hubs
yet.

>I don't think ehci knows how to talk to non-high-speed devices. If you
>plug a non-high-speed device into an EHCI-served port, it lets the uhci
>emulation layer take over.

That's the way EHCI is designed to operate; directly connected USB1
devices are handled by the companion USB1 controller, not EHCI.

Ian