Re: Geom Vinum backwards compatible?

From: <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:13:14 +0200
Zitat von "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen_at_punkt.de>:

> Hi!
>
> > Is it even expected that if I upgrade a machine with vinum drives from
> > old vinum (~5.2-current) to geom vinum (5.3-BETAx) that geom vinum
> > will recognise and use the old vinum partitions?

Just in case: You shouldn't load old vinum and geom vinum at the same time.
I don't know what happens, but Lukas told me I shouldn't do it.

> Just did it on one machine and, yes, it worked.
> That's not a statistically relevant base, though - YMMV ;-)

I tried with a 2-disk-stripe and failed. Kernel panic right after loading
geom_vinum. Lukas is analyzing the problem. Alot of people already switched
to geom vinum, so this isn't a general bug. But if you try it be prepared
for this case.

Bye,
Alexander.