Re: Geom Vinum backwards compatible?

From: Stijn Hoop <stijn_at_win.tue.nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:32:07 +0200
On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 10:19:17AM +0100, Ryan Hunt wrote:
> On 13 Oct 2004, at 08:12, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 08:01:52AM +0100, Ryan Hunt wrote:
> > > I'm trying to get vinum (geom) happening in BETA7, but I'm finding
> > > that 'resetconfig' it not available yet (among other commands)..
> >
> > As a workaround, maybe you can obliterate the previous
> > configuration by dd'ing /dev/zero to the first 257 sectors of the
> > relevant vinum 'drives'.  I'd do this without geom_vinum loaded though.
>
> But will this destroy the data on the 'drives'? I want to be able to
> resize the disks on the fly.. (using growfs once I've added an
> additional plex)

Why do you want to do a resetconfig then?

I haven't tried this with geom_vinum, but using the old vinum I could grow the
BSD partition that contained my vinum "drive", then restart vinum which would
recognize more free space on it's "drive" and then add another subdisk on that
same drive. I've done this around a year ago, so this might not work exactly
as described but it is possible.

Even more likely to work is just adding another BSD partition on your bigger
drive, add that as a new vinum drive and then add subdisks/plexes on top.

To answer your question though, in theory it should not destroy the data, so
if you recreate your subdisks/plexes/volums at the same offsets it should /in
theory/ work. I haven't tried this though, so make sure you have your backups
handy (you do have good backups when experimenting with precious data & vinum,
I would hope).

HTH,

--Stijn

--