Re: Geom Vinum backwards compatible?

From: Stijn Hoop <stijn_at_win.tue.nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:18:20 +0200
On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 06:10:41PM +0300, Marko Raiha wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 12:28:22PM +0200, Lukas Ertl wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > >I haven't tried this with geom_vinum, but using the old vinum I could
> > >grow the BSD partition that contained my vinum "drive", then restart
> > >vinum which would recognize more free space on it's "drive" and then add
> > >another subdisk on that same drive. I've done this around a year ago, so
> > >this might not work exactly as described but it is possible.
> >
> > That should work with geom_vinum as well, although I haven't tried yet.
>
> Is it possible to grow vinumized BSD partition only from the end or also
> from the beginning?

Seeing as vinum stores it's configuration data at the start of the vinum
drive, I think it's not likely to work. You might get away with moving the
data with dd, if you set your blocksize to sector size (or at least to a
divisor of the spare space you allocate at the front). I wouldn't want to test
this without good backups though, and at that point it might be easier to
just recreate your vinum stuff from scratch and restoring anyway.

> > >Even more likely to work is just adding another BSD partition on your
> > >bigger drive, add that as a new vinum drive and then add
> > >subdisks/plexes on top.
> >
> > That's the way to go, but just make sure you have only one vinum drive per
> > disk.
>
> I have more than one vinum drive per disk and thats why I'm asking about
> growing vinumized partition to get rid of other than one of them before
> upgrading from 5.2.1 to 5.3.

Why is more than 1 vinum drive per disk not good?

--Stijn

--
Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people
in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad......