Re: 5.3-Beta7 share/examples/diskless/clone_root : wrong "options MFS" entry

From: spam maps <spamrefuse_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:30:16 -0700 (PDT)
Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> spam maps escribió:
>
>>spam maps wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>The file
>>> /usr/src/share/examples/diskless/clone_root
>>>describes these options to be needed in
>>>the kernel config file:
>>>
>>>#       options MFS
>>>
>>>However, MFS is no longer supported since 5.X
>>>and this may unnecessary confuse people who
>>>want to have a diskless boot kernel.
>>>
>>>Can someone fix this?
>>

> Yes,  you.

Funny! But I do not have access to FreeBSD CVS :).

Of course I'm trying to fix this on my own system,
but this clone_root example has so many 4.X
specific items, that need to be changed to 5.X
style.

Such mistakes should be ironed out in 5.X, because
diskless boot is not that easy and novices get
too easily stuck because of this.

I hope very soon to have a working patch to
this clone_root example file, and maybe patches
to other parts as well.

>>When I run 'clone_root all', I get several
>>serious errors and warnings on my 5.3-Beta7 PC:
>>[...]
>

> Please, read diskless(8) and pxeboot(8)
>
> I don't know of active and valid document/support
> for what you want. But this is the way to go.

OK, I'll have a look at that.
I mainly followed the Handbook and the guidelines
in this clone_root file. That was fine for my 4.X
system. Now with 5.X, there appear to be some gaps
or inconsistencies, since 5.X is organizing things
differently, such as kernel/modules location,
generation of devices in /dev etc.

Rob.