Re: ufdformat(1) -- format disks in USB floppy drives.

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_flat.berklix.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:09:18 +0200
Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
> > I've written a command to format USB floppies. You will need the scsi_da.h
> > and umass.c patches recently committed to -CURRENT in order to use it.
> > If there is enough demand it can be pushed back into the tree.
> > It can be found at:
> > 	http://people.freebsd.org/~bms/dump/ufdformat/
> > Please try it out and let me know your thoughts.
>
> In which way does ufdformat(1) differs from fdformat(1) ?  I mean
> I feel quite counter-intuitive to have two differents commands to
> finally achieve the same thing, formatting floppies, even if they
> don't work on the same underlying bus.  I think this difference
> should be made transparent to users.

which format
	format: Command not found.
apropos format | grep floppy
	fdformat(1)              - format floppy disks
	fdwrite(1)               - format and write floppy disks
	mformat(1)               - add an MSDOS filesystem to a low-level formatted floppy disk '" t TQ \$1 . (is' (if` (pd"

If someone wants to write one, it looks like there's room for some
shell/ C prog, &/or man(1) that offered all of eg fdformat ufdformat mformat
newfs scsi~format ls120 format etc.

-
Julian Stacey.  Unix,C,Net & Sys. Eng. Consultant, Munich.  http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii, Html dumped as Spam.  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.