Re: 5.3-BETA7 install cd: kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

From: Guido van Rooij <guido_at_gvr.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:35:47 +0200
On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 08:48:56PM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-Oct-15 09:31:18 +0200, Guido van Rooij wrote:
> >I am beginning to wonder if we should have a boot option that enables
> >a thorough memtest from within the kernel...(e.g. boot -m).
>
> What do you define as "thorough"?  A thorough memory test requires
> intimate knowledge of the physical memory cell layout (to ensure
> that pattern tests make sense) as well as the ability to control
> temperature, the supply voltage, thresholds and timings (to detect
> marginal conditions).
>
> "make buildworld" is probably the best memory test we're likely to
> find.  The speed is on a par with Memtest86 as well.  Add/vary
> '-k' for additional coverage.

The problem started with my system where FreeBSD would consitently panic
at the same point during installation (at an early point). The funny thing is
that a W2K install would at least run much longer (I never completed it
so I never had it actually write to disk).

A make buildworld cannot be used in sich a scenario. A nice memtester that could
be called from the bootloader would have been handy.

-Guido