KDE and 5-release [Was: Re: xterm (+Konsole) and su on BETA4 with Xorg (from today)]

From: Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.Strobl_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:31:23 +0200
Am Samstag, 16. Oktober 2004 21:03 schrieb Kris Kennaway:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 06:56:35PM +0200, Emanuel Strobl wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 15. Oktober 2004 22:37 schrieb Kris Kennaway:
> > > On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 03:38:07AM +0200, Emanuel Strobl wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > I think this was a bug in kdm that was recently fixed - can you please
> > > verify that you have completely up-to-date ports?
> >
> > Sorry, it took a while to recompile kdebase3.
> > First, more importatnt, this bug was fiexd on 9th of October:
> > http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=609441+0+archive/2004/freebs
> >d-current/20040919.freebsd-current
> >
> > As far as I can tell also the xterm (konsole) bug has been fixed since I
> > _can_ compile ports with simple su (without login simulated), although I
> > can't remember where and when this was fixed.
>
> I think the kdm bug caused the environment pollution that caused your
> konsole problems too.

I tought I read some discussion about that but actualy wasn't really sure. But
looks like :)

Another suggestion (which I think is out of discussion, but): I'd strongly
recommend releasing 5.3 with kde 3.3.1!
I'm using (at least on my multihead machine) KDE for daily work and 3.3.0 has
really lots of ugly bugs. Almost every (for me) really annoying bug was fixed
in 3.3.1 accoreding to the changelog
(http://www.kde.org/announcements/changelogs/changelog3_3to3_3_1.php)

Since fruitsalad.org is doing pkg-plist runs excesively I think the port will
be commited soon.

Is it possible to do another port freeze when -RC1 is out?
Additional reasons would be apache2, libtiff (which I can't find a
corresponding port), jdk14, kmplayer and lost of others.

Perhaps you were often asked about a ports release branch, but I think today
there are so many ports and so many security dependencies, isn't it worth
another thought?

Thanks a lot,

-Harry