Re: FreeBSD 5.3b7and poor ata performance

From: fandino <fandino_at_ng.fadesa.es>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:17:10 +0200
fandino wrote:
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> Also, make sure that disk write-cache is enabled on both or disabled on
>> both.
 > write-cache was enable on all tests and disks were in UDMA5 mode.

I was thought about this and since I don't known the internals of
FreeBSD all I can to do is formulate a theory about the problem.

Here are my thoughts:

I don't think about a hardware problem because Linux, OpenBSD and
windows shows a normal throughput.

The mobo has a VIA-82C686B controller with ad0 and ad2 and a Promise-
PDC20265 controller with ad4, ad5, ad6 and ad7. It doesn't matter if
test are beetween VIA, promise or other combination that you choose,
so I don't think it's a problem with the promise controller, it's
independent of controllers. Test over disks as raw devices have the
same bad throughput, this makes me think that it isn't related to
filesystem, buffer-cache, softupdates, async, etc.

Now I'm out of ideas and I would be very grateful if someone could
help me. Thank you.