Re: re0 fix that works with polling

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_resnet.uoregon.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:09:09 -0700
Sean McNeil wrote this message on Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 16:25 -0700:
> > but I was seeing 38megbytes/sec being received at the receiving end...
> > yes, I didn't verify that they weren't dups, but that would imply we have
> > other issues with the re driver than just this...
> >
> > Do you have a video that you could send me, that I could do some testing
> > with this? (and vls config)?  I've been doing my testing on an i386,
> > but that shouldn't be different enough to cause problems...  (if it is,
> > then we need to think about what the re is behaving badly)...
>
> I have placed 11 megs of the stream in
>
> http://mcneil.com/~sean/freebsd/stream.mpg
>
> You can install vls from ports (net/vls) and I run it with
>
> vls -d udp:224.1.1.1:1234 file:stream.mpg

Thanks, I'll try that out...

> I agree that your assesment appears to be accurate in identifying no
> packet loss.  Are you going through a switch or is this a cross from
> machine-machine?

Believe it or not, I was going through two switches... :)  an SMC and a
NetGear.. both gige, the SMC supports jumbo but the NetGear doesn't...

> Please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist.  Here is the
> output from lspci:
>
> 00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169
> (rev 10)
>         Subsystem: Micro-star International Co Ltd: Unknown device 702c
>         Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
>         I/O ports at cc00
>         Memory at cfffb300 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
>         Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
>
> I was mistaken about the irq not being shared.  On my system, irq 16 is
> shared with my vga controller:
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device
> 0322 (rev
> a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
>         Subsystem: PROLINK Microsystems Corp: Unknown device 1152
>         Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
>         Memory at ce000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
>         Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
>         Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
>         Capabilities: [44] AGP version 3.0
>
> I run the xorg server.

Have you tried w/o running X?   also, tried the bios setting to not
assign an irq to the video card?  I doubt that the extra interrupts
would cause a problem...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579