Re: re0 fix that works with polling

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_resnet.uoregon.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:33:19 -0700
Sean McNeil wrote this message on Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 16:25 -0700:
> > Do you have a video that you could send me, that I could do some testing
> > with this? (and vls config)?  I've been doing my testing on an i386,
> > but that shouldn't be different enough to cause problems...  (if it is,
> > then we need to think about what the re is behaving badly)...
>
> I have placed 11 megs of the stream in
>
> http://mcneil.com/~sean/freebsd/stream.mpg

damn, is that hdtv quality?? :)  looks pretty nice...

> You can install vls from ports (net/vls) and I run it with
>
> vls -d udp:224.1.1.1:1234 file:stream.mpg
>
> I agree that your assesment appears to be accurate in identifying no
> packet loss.  Are you going through a switch or is this a cross from
> machine-machine?

The bad news is that it appears that I'm not dropping any packets at
all...  I'm using vlc on my mac (which is also at gige), and it appears
to be getting full data rate.. though things are gittery,but the logs
are kinda wierd...

now the bad part of the news...  if I drop my re0 card over to my 100mbit
switch:

Ok, here's a more complete run of what happened:
re0 <-> SMC gige switch <-> NetGear gige switch <-> MacOSX laptop (gige)
no packet loss observed.. ~1.9megs/sec or 1400pps received at MacOSX
laptop

re0 <-> summit48 (100mbit) <-> SMC gige switch <-> MacOSX laptop (gige)
w/ or w/o netgear switch between SMC and laptop, packet loss is
observed, only about 700-900kbyte/sec or 500-600pps

now a bit more information, I did use snmpnetstat on the switch to verify
that the switch was receiving (but I forgot to verify that it was sending
all packets to the gige port) all packets even w/ the final packet loss..

re0 <-> summit48 (100mbit) <-> MacOSX laptop
no packet loss observed...  similar stats as to the straight gige above..

now, I also tried receiving on win2k box, and I received a bit better
frame rate.. I don't think my macosx laptop can handle rendering the
data stream (or at least vlc doesn't know how to make use of the proper
acceleration)..  the frame rate was really choppy, and sound not to good..

Do you have an application that gets good stats from vlc?  I did see
a few messages in the message log about dropped packets...  but I coudln't
really figure out how many/much they were, and considering it was udp,
I expected some loss...

again, most of the stats was gathered with netstat, since this is the
easiest way I know to see things happening..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579