RC1... still got a way to go

From: Justin Clift <justin_at_postgresql.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:45:08 +1000
Hi all,

Just tried out 5.3RC1, from the downloadable boot floppies, and it hangs
on the kernel booting.

In just the normal booting mode, it hangs at:

uhci0: [GIANT-LOCK]

And after disabling the USB stuff in my configuration, then booting from
the boot floppies again but with ACPI disabled or in Safe mode, it hangs at:

md0: Preloaded image</mfsroot> 4423680 bytes at 0xc0a0c7f0

Also tried the beta4 boot floppies, using ACPI disabled, and got the
same thing.

Oh well.

One of the guys here with a very near identical PC (he's running IDE
drives instead of SCSI) just tried booting RC1 and it hung for him, so
he's going back to his working beta7 setup.  The only differences
between our systems are the IDE vs SCSI.

For reference, these PC's are HP workstation xw6000's with dual 3.02Ghz
Xeon's and 3GB ECC ram.  Mine is using a dual head Matrox G450 AGP card,
and 2 x 18GB 10k SCSI drives.  The controller is an onboard Adaptec one
of some variety, a 29160 or similar.

After all this, someone had the 5.3 beta4 boot floppies handy so I tried
booting with those with no different affect.

So, something isn't happy.  :(  I'd suspect the hardware was dodgy if I
didn't use it every day on Linux (Sun's Java Desktop System), sometimes
under quite decent load.

Hope this helps in some way.  If there's something more I can do in
order to assist in getting this fixed, please let me know.  :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift