Re: panic: swap_pager_isswapped: failed to locate all swap meta blocks

From: Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:42:33 +1000
On Mon, 2004-Oct-18 10:53:37 +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
>+> As an alternative approach, rather than marking swap clean on a
>+> shutdown, why not have a flag in the object's metadata that says "this
>+> object doesn't need synchronising on a reboot".  If the flag is set,
>+> then gmirror just sets both sides as synchronised and active on boot.
>+> This is the approach taken by HP Tru64 LSM.  (Though one improvement
>+> you could make over LSM would be to document the flag).
>
>Such a flag only makes sense for the whole mirror, not selected components,
>right?

The flag would be at the volume level.

>This doesn't fix the case when one has file systems and swap on the same
>mirror, but could be helpful in some cases.

This depends on how you build your filesystems.  If you create a
single vinum volume and use disklabel to partition it, then I agree
that marking the whole volume as "no recovery needed" doesn't help.
If you have multiple vinum volumes with each filesystem/swap on a
distinct volume then a per-volume flag will work.

LSM does not support mixing filesystems and swap on a single volume.
Vinum allows either approach and it's not particularly clear which is
preferable, though there appear to be advantages in avoiding disklabel
(and its limitations).

--
Peter Jeremy