Freebsd and performance

From: n.v.t n.v.t <joefso_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:15:57 +0000
Hi

I have been following news for quite a while now and I have tested several
fbsd releases form
4.X and 5.2.1 releases from all I have noticed is that I liked 4.X very much
especially the memory management, harvest performance, actually the overall
performance and the widely available documentation, well that's one of the
main reasons why freebsd is known to me.

Know you guys coming close to the 5.3 -stable release alot of users are
going to upgrade/switch, right, because this is what we have been waiting
for. What about the performance that 4.X had? Will the performance be equal
? Will it be having better performance? Even on low end machines? And
especially sinds freebsd is becoming more and more ready for desktop use,
performance is a big issue on desktops.(look at Gnu/Linux for example, which
I have been using for a very long time know, and all I can remember is that
almost all of the releases have scheduling/latency issues. When I was using
2.2/2.4/2.6 All I have seen where low latency patches. What about freebsd?

I'm so exited to try out the new freebsd release. Butt a couple of questions
are desired first.
As all you have noticed the above^ part, will fbsd have the same performance
or better? When will this be ready 5.3.X ? Could I get some more accurate
information about this? Since I'm planning to use it on my desktop.

I have only been reading the bsd section at slashdot so I don't know much
about the progress you guys are making on the feature release. Is there a
offical news site for freebsd users? Like openbsd has *deadly.org.

What about the compile flags freebsd RC is using compared to 5.3 -stable
will there be a lot of changes? What about gnome packages? Will 2.8 make it
in 5.3 stable (iso)?

If those things are taking a while to be there, does fbsd have any kernel
patches like linux does to improve desktop performance? For example like:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/

Joe

(PLEASE CC ME, I"M NOT SUBSCRIBED)

MSN Zoeken helpt je om de gekste dingen te vinden! http://search.msn.nl