Re: [Fwd: What do people think about not installing a stripped /kernel?]

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:17:44 -0400
At 5:57 PM +0300 10/20/04, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>I think that this is good idea which can be adapted for our
>6-CURRENT as well. Disk space is so damn cheap today....

I think it makes sense to do this as the default behavior, and
then support the stripped-down kernel as the optional behavior.
There are always going to be some users who need the smallest
kernel possible, but those people are already making a custom
kernel so it is fine (IMO) if they also need to customize the
kernel to obtain a stripped kernel.

But the people who are happily running with a generic kernel will
be better off if they have all that debug information readily
available if any problem does come up.  Right now we always waste
one "debug cycle" when someone gets a core dump, only to realize
that they can't do anything with it because their kernel has no
symbol information.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org