Re: [Fwd: What do people think about not installing a stripped /kernel ?]

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:29:55 -0700
On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 08:20:48PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Let me clarify it down: it is only applies to HEAD, that is, unstable
> branch, which can be inheretedly buggy. STABLE/RELEASE doesn't really
> need this feature. This dismisses the following objections:

I think it's more important in HEAD, but personally I would like to ship
this way.  It has the potential to vastly improve the quality of bug
reports.  That's not my call though.

> 1. HDD size constrains: nobody really want to run unpatched HEAD on CF
> or the like, since with HEAD you are expected to re-compile more than often.
>
> 2. / partition size: anybody running HEAD is expected to allow this
> accomodate debugging kernel.
>
> 3. Additional slowdown: since it is adds up to 10 seconds (I bet that
> even less on a modern system) who cares? This is HEAD, so that it is
> expected to be sub-optimal performance-wise.

I seriously doubt it's measurable.  If it is, the loader is broken. :-)
We're talking about reading a section header and doing a seek for each
ELF section we don't care about (all the ones that bloat the file
relative to the stripped version.)

-- Brooks