Re: [Fwd: What do people think about not installing a stripped /kernel ?]

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:45:47 +0300
On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 07:13:35PM +0200, Max Laier wrote:
> Why is this discussion ongoing? The consensus seems pretty clear: "Implement
> it, but have a make.conf option to turn it off." If there is concern with
> this make if default to off and have an option to turn it on.

Implementing this is very easy, since it's already implemented,
just not by default.

What everyone seem to have forgotten is that we also have modules,
and in the "config -g" case, we also build debug versions of the
modules.  And if we're also going to install modules with debug
symbols, I think this puts the requirement for the root file
system way beyond the rational limits.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov