Re: [Fwd: What do people think about not installing a stripped /kernel ?]

From: Dimitry Andric <dimitry_at_andric.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:11:04 +0200
On 2004-10-20 at 21:47:20 Scott Long wrote:

> I tend to agree.  What do you think of my proposal to have installkernel
> (optionally or whatever) put unstriped binaries somewhere outside of the
> root partition?

Yes, that is a very nice solution, although you also might say that
having "two versions" of the same kernel file could be confusing
(and/or wasteful).  Also, please note that you might want debug
versions of all kernel modules in the same place, since those can
cause crashes too, alas.

May I suggest /var/crash as a possible location? :)  Since you'll be
looking in there anyway if you need to debug a crash dump.

(On the other hand, I've been installing debug kernels for the past
year or so, always using make installkernel.debug, and then renaming
all /boot/kernel/*.debug files to their basenames, but this is rather
cumbersome.  However, you always have all debugging info in one
place.)