Re: [Fwd: What do people think about not installing a stripped /kernel ?]

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:50:39 +0200
On Wednesday, 20. October 2004 23:29, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> In fact, we enable core dumps in our installs now and once we fix up
> /var/crash's size (for new installs), even total newbies will be able to
> provide useful cores to us.

It's probably a good idea for dragonfly to try and get backtraces from kernel
panics from as many joe-e.-adoppters as possible - new project, many
experiments, not much of real world deployment yet, etc, etc.

However, do we really need this on FreeBSD? Is the project in that bad a shape
and/or do developers have so few time to spare these days for reproducing
crashes now? How many mails per day about kernel panics where people have no
clue about how to get a stack trace are coming in on the -current mailing
list daily? I don't see that many. Better invest the time and some additional
disk-space into (running) more regression testing tools.

JMTC.
--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org