Re: FreeBSD-amd64-RC1 problem on Dual AMD64 with 8GB RAM (IBM_at_server 325, ServeRAID 6M)

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:46:22 -0600
Ganbold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now FreeBSD is started not working again even with 4GB of RAM. I added
> 4GB of RAM before and with total 8GB of RAM
> some tools and programs are started not working. Then I reduces RAM back
> to 4GB and still same things are
> happening. Now I can't even login. Login exits with error.
> Somehow added RAM caused break in entire system.
>
> Any idea what is wrong with this? When FreeBSD-AMD64 will support more
> than 4GB of RAM?
> Should I install FreeBSD again? Or is there anyway I can fix?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Ganbold

Your filesystem might have been damaged when you had the 8GB of RAM.
However, it's impossible to say given the small amount of information
that you have provided.  But to answer your question, FreeBSD supports
more than 4GB of RAM on amd64 (and i386 and likely ia64 and sparc64),
but certain storage drivers have bugs that are currently being fixed.
I can say with certainty that all of the modern Adaptec drivers
support >4GB just fine, as do several other SCSI drivers.

Scott