5.3-RC1 on Asus A7V880: black screen instead of sysinstall

From: Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser_at_chello.cz>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:28:20 +0200
Hi there,

I have a problem installing 5.3-RC1 on a box with Asus A7V880
motherboard.

The screen goes black after probing USB, and I can only see sysinstall
(the reboot/continue/shell dialog) for a second after pressing
ctrl-alt-del. I tried with and without acpi (beastie menu and bios
settings), no difference.

Same thing happens with 5.3-b7 CD2.

There's one thing that might or might not be related: the graphics card
is a PCI one. PCI/AGP primary output setting in bios doesn't make any
difference.

I haven't had much luck so far getting a working serial console (the
text in the Handbook is outdated). Which floppy does boot.config belong
now? Looks like it should be the boot floppy (as opposed to kern1 and
kern2), right?