Re: delayed process exit

From: <cpghost_at_cordula.ws>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:33:33 +0200
On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 02:29:47PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> Some times, in a seemingly unpredictable manner, exiting processes take
> a lot of time to finish.  I'm seeing this almost every time I exit
> Emacs, because bash takes a long time to show me a shell prompt.

This is a known issue, that has AFAICS not yet been solved (at least
not MFC-ed in RELENG_5 as of Oct. 21st).

The problem is not with the exiting process, but with the wakeup
of its parent. There seems to be some bug in the scheduler that
results in LONG (1 to 5 seconds) delays to wakeup processes that
have been swapped out. Nearly every swapped out process can be
affected by this bug.

Regards,
cpghost.

--