(unknown charset) Re: FreeBSD5.3-RC1 MySQL Performance

From: (unknown charset) Daniel Eischen <deischen_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:18:14 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Scott Long wrote:

> jesk wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > i found some time to make some performance tests with mysql under
> > FreeBSD5.3-RC1. Hardware is a HP DL360 with 2x2,8GHz Xeon CPU´s, 2GB,
> > deactivated HTT and u160/10krpm scsi drive. For reference values i took a
> > RedHat Fedora with native threads (NPTL) on 2.6 kernel and the same
> > hardware. for benchmarks i used super-smack with the default smack files.
> > the MySQL backend was MyISAM.
> >
> > with both setups the mysql was always under high load which seemed to me for
> > a good sign to recognize expressive values on thread execution and mysql
> > performance without loosing to much time in i/o.
> >
> > the benchmark is executing 1000 sql-select queries*10 concurrent clients on
> > a 90k row table with a random not really high cacheable where-statement on
> > the index:
> > ----
> > 15985 queries per second
> > (pthreads without process scope threads, sched_4bsd and preemption)
> > 6139   queries per second
> > (pthreads with process scope threads, sched_4bsd and preemption)
> > 10779 queries per second
> > (linuxthreads, sched_4bsd and preemption)
> > fedora result:
> > 11900 queries per second
> > ----
>
> Your results for system scope threads is actually pretty good and is
> quite a bit higher than what I've gotten in my tests.  Your process
> scope thread is about the same that I've seen, and indeed indicates
> a serious problem with KSE process scope threads.  Hopefully the threads
> folks can look at this soon.  Your Fedora results are quite a bit lower
> than what I got on RHEL3, but that's a very different comparison.
> Overall, I'm very encouraged by this; your test methods look very good
> and I'm happy that the system scope test did so well.

David made a recent change that speeded up system scope threads.
We're not sure why process scope threads don't do as well.  What
is interesting is that disk I/O such as the crew test program
from Butenhof's tests, performs much better with process scope
threads than with system scope threads (crew spawns a bunch of
worker threads to recursively search a directory for files containing
a certain character sequence).

--
Dan Eischen