Re: linux emulation: "/ " resolves to real root dir; why ?

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:37:40 -0700 (PDT)
Removing -queestions crosspost.

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> on 22.10.2004 14:18 Konrad Heuer said the following:
> > On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> >
> > Linux binaries often need to access files outside the emulation directory
> > tree, just think of data files in the user's homes when running
> > applications like acroread, linux-mozilla, staroffice etc. So you
> > absolutely need to break out.
> >

> we are taking about different "break outs". Removing the check will
> *not* affect accessing any other filesystem node but "/". Only things like
> 	cd /
> 	ls /
> or
> 	"cd .." from /compat/linux/foo
> will be affected.

You missed the point. This would mean you would not be able to access
stuff like /home, which would make it awful hard to access user home
directories, unless you create symlink copies in the /compat/linux tree.

As long as you create the top-level dir in /compat/linux first, mkdir -p
will Do The Right Thing after that.

The port seems to install fine on my systems; it doesn't spam any existing
files or directories, so I'm not sure why you think linux_base-7 has a
problem.