Re: Annoying SCSI waiting...

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:23:23 -0400
At 1:46 PM -0600 10/22/04, Scott Long wrote:

>This is not just a problem with old disk drives, it's a problem
>with some cdrom and many tape drives.  Maybe it can be set to 15
>only if the sa, cd, and/or ch drivers are present.  That still
>doesn't solve the problem with GENERIC, and I would like to keep
>GENERIC as compatible as possible.

One data point:  I have dropped that value to 7 seconds (or less)
on every FreeBSD system I have ever built, for at least six or
seven years now.  That goes back to a 60-MHz pentium, iirc (it was
a mean machine back when it was released, with a price-tag to match.
That machine is still the most expensive PC I have ever bought!).

I don't know how low of a value would be safe, but I think we
could safely pick a value which is less than 15 seconds.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org