Re: Hang at startup on Sony Vaio with 5.3-CURRENT

From: Garance A Drosehn <gad_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:00:29 -0400
At 2:02 PM -0700 10/22/04, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
>  > seem to remember someone else reporting a similar problem.
>>  I *think* it might have been Bruce Mah, but I am not sure.
>
>A few of us (myself included) have seen this problem, although it
>seems to have shown up most often on IBM ThinkPads (in my case,
>a T21).
>
>sos_at_ committed a fix for this to HEAD:
>
>   1.39      +5 -8      src/sys/dev/ata/ata-queue.c

Well, this sounds like it will be of interest here at RPI, as
we have a lot of ThinkPads on this campus!

And
At 11:46 PM +0200 10/22/04, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
>  >
>  > I have a Sony Vaio notebook (PCG-V505DXP) which runs 5.2-CURRENT
>>  but which hangs when booting 5.3-CURRENT or 6-CURRENT.
>>
>>  The hang occurs after the following bit:
>>
>>    ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY no interrupt
>>    ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY no interrupt
>
>This should be fixed with src/sys/dev/ata/ata-queue.c 1.39, at
>least it has for me.  I'm currently just running RELENG_5 with
>the latest version of ata-queue.c from -CURRENT.

Okay.  Jack has picked up that change, and is testing it.  With
any luck this will work, and we can then add it to RELENG_5_3.
Thanks!

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad_at_FreeBSD.org