Re: 5.3-BETA "burncd blank" hangs in 50% of cases

From: Ryan Freeman <ryan_at_slipgate.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:22:50 -0700
On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 01:24:48PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> >Hello? Is anybody home?
> >
> >-Maxim
> >
> >Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> >
> >>Hi Soren,
> >>
> >>I've noticed that burncd blank command hangs in 50% of cases (at least
> >>with CD-RWs). Every time symptoms are the same: progress goes to 29%
> >>and then just hangs indefinitely. ^C allows to close burncd. However,
> >>the disk appears to be blanked just fine, since the following burncd
> >>data starts writing from LBA 0 as expected.
> >>
> >>In remaining 50% of cases, the progress indicator goes slowly to
> >>20-something%, then quickly jumps to 90-something% and then burncd
> >>exits correctly.
> >>
> >>As I said the problem is easily reproducible so that I am ready to
> >>provide any necessary debugging information.
> >>
> >>My CD-RW runs in UDMA33 mode, but the problem persists in PIO mode as
> >>well. Other than that, it burns and reads CD-RWs without any problems.
> >>
> >>It would be nice to have this fixed before 5.3 goes out.
> >>
> >>-Maxim
>

> Sorry, I assumed that others would have jumped in by now.  I see similar
> issues myself, and sometimes even fixating a CD will 'hang'.  Since it's
> not fatal, just annoying, I don't consider it a show-stopper.  Of course
> it will be nice to fix it at some point.  My guess is that either the
> driver and burncd aren't using the correct command to get status from
> the drives, or the drives are just generally marginal and refuse to give
> accurate status.  We can investigate it further at a later time, I guess.

Well I'll throw in my two cents here. I haven't  yet had an issue with my
burner and burncd. I burned 32 audio cds in one night for a co-worker (a whole
spindle!) Anyway, I blanked a cdrw last night, and it went perfect as i hoped.
Just to make sure I'll blank another cdrw right now.

--snip--
ryan_at_ryan:~% burncd -f /dev/acd0 blank
blanking CD - 99 % done
ryan_at_ryan:~%
--snip--

Well seems to be in order still, I'll be sure to post results if I ever see
anything otherwise. FWIW, I have a 40x12x48 Liteon burner, (burnproof, never
ever had a buffer underrun) and I've never had ANY problem with it making
coasters in the 3 years I've had it. Used it in linux, windowsxp and freebsd.
The only coasters are the ones I force upon myself when I over do it trying
to stuff stuff onto a cdr (720mb on a 700mb cdr anyone?)

- ryan

By the way, this is on FreeBSD 5.3-RC1. No DMA settings have been disabled,
and its an asus nforce2 motherboard.