Re: ccd and gstripe on 5.3-RC

From: Miguel Mendez <flynn_at_energyhq.es.eu.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:52:04 +0200
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:17:59 +0200
Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

Hi,

> It should work with any GEOM providers.
> Without more info it will be hard to track it down...

Ok, a bit more info...

 flynn_at_scienide% sudo camcontrol devlist
<QUANTUM QM39100TD-SW N491>        at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
<PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-20TS 1.01>      at scbus0 target 3 lun 0 (pass1,cd0)
<SEAGATE ST39236LW 0010>           at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (pass2,da1)
<YAMAHA CRW2100S 1.0H>             at scbus0 target 6 lun 0 (pass3,cd1)

Those are the devices installed in the box. An old Quantum and a newer
U160 Seagate Barracuda are the harddrives. I used gstripe with a stock
5.3-RC1 GENERIC kernel. All the devices are connected to an Adaptec
19160 card.

As per the man page, this is what I did:

$ gstripe label -v -s 4096 usr /dev/da0s1d /dev/da1s1d
$ newfs /dev/stripe/usr
$ mount /dev/stripe/usr /mnt
[...]

It worked fine the first time. I rebooted the box and booted in single
user mode. I had to manually start the stripe, mounted it and tar'd /usr
to its new location. After that I proceeded to delete the normal /usr.
Edited /boot/loader.conf to make it load the geom_stripe module and
rebooted once more. This time a bunch of messages appeared. geom_stripe
started traversing the disks mentioning da0, da0s1[ad] and the da1[bd].
It attached the device, and a few lines later it complained and
destroyed it. As I said I don't have the exact message because I had to
reinstall (my /usr was no more).

Cheers,
--
	Miguel Mendez <flynn_at_energyhq.es.eu.org>
	http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org