Re: FreeBSD 5.3b7and poor ata performance

From: Brad Knowles <brad_at_stop.mail-abuse.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:55:31 +0200
At 2:45 PM -0600 2004-10-25, Scott Long wrote:

>  RAID-0 yes, RAID-10 no, at least not for software RAID.  The machine
>  winds up having to transfer the same data twice across the PCI bus,
>  twice through the controller, etc.  If the controller is on a simple
>  PCI-32/33 bus then it will quickly become saturated.

	I can't speak for GEOM, but my experience with vinum is that
software RAID, especially RAID-1+0 will totally smoke the bare
hardware, and will smoke most any PCI hardware RAID controller you
put it up against.

	Granted, my experience is a few years old, so if you've got any
more recent data that shows in detail what the current situation is
and explains why, I'd love to see it.  Until then, I stand by my
results at <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/FreeBSD/vinum.html>.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad_at_stop.mail-abuse.org>

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755