Re: Mild sound distortion with FreeBSD 5.3-BETA7

From: Suleiman Souhlal <ssouhlal_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 02:24:38 -0400
Hello,

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 13:15, Travis Poppe wrote:
> I've recently noticed a mild sound distortion in XMMS and other
> applications that output sound. I'm not sure when I started noticing
> this, but I don't believe it has always been present in the 5.x branch
> (and if it has, I haven't noticed it up until a month or two ago).

You should be able to fix it by using a bigger buffer. To do this,
change line 48 of src/sys/dev/sound/pci/emu10k1.c from:

#define EMU_DEFAULT_BUFSZ       4096

To something like:

#define EMU_DEFAULT_BUFSZ       8192

and recompile the kernel/modules. If this doesn't work, you can also try
using an even bigger buffer size, such as 16384, but then, you will have
a noticeable delay between the time you press play and start hearing the
music (it shouldn't be too bad, unless you play games).

Bye.
--
Suleiman Souhlal    | ssouhlal_at_vt.edu
The FreeBSD Project | ssouhlal_at_FreeBSD.org