Re: Removal of /stand Directory

From: Jose M Rodriguez <josemi_at_freebsd.jazztel.es>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:27:24 +0200
El Martes, 26 de Octubre de 2004 08:56, Tim Kientzle escribió:
> Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:
> > On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Ryan Sommers wrote:
> >> -  Move gzip to /bin and use /bin/gzip and /bin/pax to handle
> >> compressed archives (see arch_at_ thread for patch). Overall is a
> >> savings in /.
> >
> > Frankly, having a file pointing to an inode with 135 links in /bin
> > sort of scares me. Putting a stand-alone version of gzip in /bin
> > isn't going to save any space in /.
>
> Ryan is proposing moving /usr/bin/gzip to /bin/gzip.
> /usr/bin/gzip only has 4 links: gzip, gunzip, gzcat, and zcat.

I recall that gzip comes from /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gzip and is GPL
licensed.

I can't recall of any /usr/src/gnu/bin.  This may be an issue?

I still think that add an aditional support for *.tar files
(uncompressed) and some flexibility to initdiskless must be of
interest.

Also, I can recall that cpio/tar/pax have all support for tarball format
auto-detection and mayor cipo/tar format support.

If someone can confirm:
 - prefered format/supported formats [ustar]
 - pax/cpio/tar commands to use (options)

I'll work a patch to initdiskless to test.

IMHO this must be take in account.

- May be use to expand /etc from a fresh mfs.  No passwd file reachable.
- May be use from a ro rootfs.  No tmpfile use.
- Default expand owned by root:wheel (0:0).  Use mtree after.  Use other
file distribution systems after.
- The actual default is /stand/cpio --extract -d [4.x]

Also, guest about counterparts for tarball creation must be of interest.

--
  josemi