Re: can't buildworld - boot2

From: <brian_at_aljex.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:11:40 -0400
Quoting Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_linux.gr>:

> On 2004-10-26 00:10, brian_at_aljex.com wrote:
> > deleted /usr/src and /usr/obj again
> > used vipw to change roots shell back to /bin/csh
> > logged out & back in
> > cvsupped and make buildworld worked fine (with the -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing
> btw,
> > I don't know if that's been implimented yet, I put it in make.conf)
> >
> > possible clue: you mentioned -j
> > I had tried a -j4 , which was the first time I ever tried -j anything btw,
> > previously and it failed, but it didn't fail anywhere near the spot I
> showed.
> > After it failed I shrugged and thought "not surprising" and did a make
> clean
> > and make buildworld and got the failure in boot2 I originally posted about,
> and
> > continued to get the same failure no matter what I did over several
> complete
> > delete/checkout/build attempts even though I never used -j again.
> >
> > Silly as it seems, the only common factor I see was that all those
> attempts,
> > spread over 3 or so days, took place in the same login session, the same
> > instance of bash, as the original make -j4 failure.
> >
> > Either the initial failure screwed up the instance of bash and all I needed
> > do was log out & in, or the use of bash vs csh is no good, or some change
> was
> > committed in the last few hours that fixed it, or -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing
> > works where -O doesn't.
>
> Or your /usr/obj was messed up royally by running with -j4, and wiping
> it fixed everything ;-)

I did "rm -rf /usr/obj /usr/src" several times as I think I said, and always got
the same failure.

now the resulting kernel turns out to hang at boot, right at the end
where it's about to run init. It reacts to the acpi event from the power button
only to print a line that says it's not yet ready to perform the action.
If I select choice 3 from the boot menu "safe mode"
it boots up & runs fine.
looks like that choice just disables acpi and ata dma?

I'll have to recompile a few times to eliminate some guesswork since this build
had too many variables changed at once to have any idea what might be the cause
of any problems.