Re: Traffic Shaping not working correctly after ipfw coverted to use pfil_hooks API

From: Vincent Poy <vincepoy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:33:16 -0700
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:30:43 -0700, Luigi Rizzo <luigi_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 04:37:32PM +0200, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> > [bouncing over to Luigi]
> >
> > Luigi, do you have any idea what might be going wrong here?
>
> no, sorry... I have to say the ipfw/natd/dummynet configuration is rather
> convoluted here so it is a bit hard to tell whether the
> problem is in dummynet calls or divert sockets.

For some reason, unless I add the divert lines, then the local
machines couldn't connect to each other.

> I am also confused by the numbers in the initial report:

> there is a mix of two different notations, Kbps and KB/sec, and
> i cannot make sense of them.
> Finally, I am curious as to why one would mix the upload and download
> traffic, i believe *DSL data rates are independent in the two
> directions unlike analog modems...

Actually, the DSL circuit is 6016kbps down/608kbps up as in Kilobits per second
but when since the DSL is on a ATM network, there is a 13% or so in
overhead so the max that can be achieved is 650KB/sec down and
65KB/sec as in Kilobytes per second up .  I am not mixing upload and
download traffic as what I was doing is that as you know, with ADSL -
the download pipe is always bigger than the upload pipe so if one
uploads and downloads at the same time, the download pipe will slow
down because the ACKs does not have priority getting out which was the
reason for using traffic shaping and setting the upload pipe to
480kbps max which gives 52KB/sec max up but allows the downloads to go
near full speed at the same time while sacrificing upload speed a
little.  This worked correctly in the March 6, 2004 -CURRENT but the
October 22, 2004 -CURRENT after I upgraded wasn't working correctly as
it seems like ACKs weren't sent back with the priority I had set.

A better explanation of what I'm trying to do is shown here:

http://fury.rupture.net/shaping/