Installing on a machine with no PS/2 ports (USB only)

From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus_at_marcuscom.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:21:07 -0400
The more I look into this, the more it looks like I'm screwed.  I'm
trying to install FreeBSD 5.3-RC1 from CD on a machine without any PS/2
ports.  All I have is a USB keyboard.  Yes, the BIOS has legacy USB
support enabled, and the keyboard works to hit enter at the initial boot
prompt.  However, once I'm in sysinstall, I'm out of luck.

I tried disconnecting the keyboard at boot time to see if I could get a
serial console to do the installation, but that didn't work.  The
console was still detected as internal video.  Any ideas on how I can
get FreeBSD on this machine (Dell OptiPlex GX280)?  Thanks.

Joe