Re: Portupgrade -af question

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:48:52 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Zoltan Frombach wrote:

> Okay guys, this is my very first post to the list, so please be nice to me.
> ;-)
>
> I have a simple question. I currently have FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #3 (from May
> 9, 2004) installed on a semi-production server. I need to update it to
> 5.3-RELEASE when it becomes available. I've read in src/UPDATING that all
> installed ports must be rebuilt (after a successful build world and install
> world, of course). Someone suggested to use 'portupgrade -af' to rebuild all

Don't forget the mergemaster step!

> installed ports. But this would take a whole day, especially since it's just
> a single processor Pentium III system. Shouldn't it be faster to let
> portupgrade use pre-compiled packages (either from a 5.3-RELEASE install CD
> or from a remote site)? Something like: 'portupgrade -afP' ? Would it work?
> This would save a lot of time... a lot of down-time, in fact.

This is guaranteed to work if:
- Your ports skeleton is up to date.
- This machine has HTTP and FTP access enabled.
- The ports you are upgrading are not forbidden, deprecated or broken.
- All distfiles are available from at least one of the relevant mirrors.

This is the case because portupgrade -P searches for packages locally or
wherever PKG_PATH points to, tries to use pkg_fetch and then falls back to
updating from ports if precompiled packages are not available.

> Can someone more experienced with portupgrade confirm that this would work? I
> would really appreciate either a firm yes or a firm no answer. I just need to
> know the answer to this question from someone who is more knowledgable than I
> am, before I start doing something stupid... ;-) Thank you guys, all!!

"firm yes", but only if all of the above conditions are met.

Have fun with this "upgradathon"! :-)

Regards,
Andy