Re: Problems getting sound to work in 5.3

From: Marc Fonvieille <blackend_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:24:21 +0200
On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 09:34:43AM -0500, Chris Rich wrote:
> I've recently installed 5.3, the last time I installed FreeBSD(4.9) I
> was able to get sound working by adding a device pcm into the kernel.
> That did not work this time (of which I now know WHY it didn't work)
> so after reading the man pages, the handbook on the freebsd.org
> website, I still can't get it to work.
> I have done the following things:
> Recompiled the kernel with device sound.
> using kldload to load different sound drivers (didn't work)
> added snd_driver_load="YES" to loader.conf - with this i had a bit of
> success because once i started KDE i heard sound, but after that
> nothing would play.
[...]

The fact you hear something is a good news...
Check mixer (the command) output, to see various volume/mixer levels.

My advice:

- keep snd_driver_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf
- reboot the box
- Do every step from 7.2.2 Testing the Sound Card section from the
  Handbook
- and mail to this list the result of each step.

Marc