Re: growfs - Using on mounten FS - planned?

From: Oliver Lehmann <lehmann_at_ans-netz.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:14:43 +0200
Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 07:45:51PM +0200, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> >
> > But now I read growfs(8), and it is only possible to grow an unmounted
> > filesystem which is bad for /usr (for example), and not nice at all.
> > Are there any plans to make it work with mounted Filesystems?
>
> I don't think so; do it from single-user mode instead.  Also note that
> you can only grow into contiguous space, so if you have multiple
> filesystems on the disk that you want to grow later, you have to
> preallocate space in which to grow them (i.e. space them apart on the
> disk) -- so you might as well just allocate the space to the FS to
> begin with.

I thought it would be as easy as it is with AIXs LVM. :) (just grow if
your vg has free space, and by having it still mounted, and don't care
about "where" the free space is)
Because I liked the idea having free diskspace up one's sleeve which you
can assign later, or for a new partition or sth. like that.
But it looks like i should drop that thing.

--
 Oliver Lehmann
  http://www.pofo.de/